Friday, April 04, 2008

Have we seen the Promised Land?

So today marks 40 years since the world lost Martin Luther King, Jr. to senseless violence. With recent conversations going on about Barack Obama and Reverend Wright and with my experience in the Dudley community, a question keeps coming up for me. It's put in sharp relief today as I consider King's last speech in Memphis, as his life was clearly under threat. Particularly, his fearlessness comes out in his concluding paragraph when he said the following well known words:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

I think the country and the world were at least interested in going to the mountaintop in 1968. Now I should clarify. I think MLK is referencing both the spiritual mountaintop and the earthly mountaintop of racial equality. I think his view of the Promised Land is a heavenly one and an earthly one. He says earlier in the speech as he is running through all the epochs in time and all the places he could live and saying he wouldn't stop in Egypt or Jerusalem, etc. He says:

"But I wouldn't stop there. Strangely enough, I would turn to the Almighty, and say, 'If you allow me to live just a few years in the second half of the twentieth century, I will be happy.' Now that's a strange statement to make, because the world is all messed up. The nation is sick. Trouble is in the land. Confusion all around. That's a strange statement. But I know, somehow, that only when it is dark enough, can you see the stars. And I see God working in this period of the twentieth century in a away that men, in some strange way, are responding — something is happening in our world. The masses of people are rising up. And wherever they are assembled today, whether they are in Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya; Accra, Ghana; New York City; Atlanta, Georgia; Jackson, Mississippi; or Memphis, Tennessee — the cry is always the same — 'We want to be free.'"

I think he's right that at that moment of time, there was a lot of attention, a lot of overdue outrage, a lot of the right kind of work being done to overthrow injustice. And great success came from that unified conscience and unified work.

What worries me today about America and I see it particularly in my own city of Boston is that there is a polite denial going on that there are still very grave racial injustices in this country. Only today, instead of outrage at the racial injustice, there's outrage at Reverend Wright and overtones that Obama should denounce him too (or maybe he has to reject him according to Hillary).

Here's just a small slice of what that racial injustice looks like on a national scale:
  • 8% of african-american men under 29 have graduated from college while 17% of same-age white males and 35% of asian males have done so.
  • More than double the percentage of young african-american males is unemployed (19.5%) compared to whites (7.9%), hispanics (8.0%) and asians (7.9%).
  • The prison percentages are staggering. 10% of african-american young men (1 in 10) are in prison compared with 1.5% of whites and 3.6% of hispancis.
  • While african-american young men reepresent 14% of the general population, they represent over 40% of the prison population.
  • (Source: http://www.kff.org/minorityhealth/upload/7541.pdf)

There are more stats than that having to do with obvious eonomic imbalances, death rates and other health related issues, but I think the points above are enough of a portrayal of injustice, to make the point.

Boston remains a city that is segregated in a de facto fashion. No laws proclaim it, no signs are hung, but forces stronger than signage or laws prevent the city and the surrounding metro area from being truly integrated. I think what bothers me the most about this situation is the constant polite silence regarding the disparities and seperation. It seems to me that no one is talking about it. Very little effort is being made to cross the lines. And no one is outraged.

I think America needs a new civil rights movement. It has to be a movement toward interaction and understanding, not simply a way to control behavior. With all of its world class institutions and its importance to the history of our country, it is shameful that our city and still far too much of America is segregated with people of color enduring not fair and unequal.

Will this bubble up to the consiousness of America? What did MLK and all of those who stood with him accomplish? What remains to be accomplished and who will sound the call? More importantly, who would follow?

2 comments:

Tim said...

Good thoughts. I too have been considering the culmination of King’s dream if Obama were to be elected President. Even if I my head says Hillary, while my heart says Obama, I’m excited about living in (or at least belonging to) a country that is finally ready to elect a black man president. We may be taking a verbal beating around the globe right now, but few countries on the planet have ever had a black president. It says something about America. It says that we’re finally moving on and that a wonderful new chapter in our country’s story is finally beginning. It gives me hope.

That said, and as far as a new civil rights movement goes, the problem is that both sides want to point fingers, while both sides need to very much be taking responsibility. Fact is, we DO live in a racist nation. And it’s so instilled in us that we can find ourselves stereotyping people, and at the exact same time swearing that there’s not a racist bone in our bodies. Racism absolutely affects a black man’s ability to get ahead. BUT! Just as you’ve stated in your statistics, black men are twice as unlikely to have a job than even Hispanics and Asians. That says something. And one of the things it says is that, as long as the black community isn’t prepared to take responsibility for its young people, and its parenting, and its education, etc., they’re never going to get ahead, no matter how many laws the President changes. Then again, those are the excuses of a white community that simply doesn’t want to admit its failures or change its ways. And so the cycle continues.

I know it’s cliché, but the only answer really is in each of us doing our part.

Larry said...

thanks drew...you have hit a nerve with me. as i read this, i am in atlanta, the home of dr. king. i am praying that a new dr king comes around.

for the meantime, i agree with tim. we need to do our part. for too long, we have tacetly endorsed this racism by our inaction.