Friday, September 26, 2008

BOOK 8: I, Robot by Isac Asimov (audio)


I had never read any Asimov largely because science fiction isn't a favorite genre of mine, but the description sounded interesting. I have not seen the film, but highly enjoyed the book. Several discs into listening to it, I checked the copyright and was astounded that Asimov wrote this book over 50 years ago, before the PC, before many digital conveniences were a part of our lives. His vision of the future captured many specific elements of our life that have come to pass in the interim, but he also seemed to capture the psyche of westerners in the digital age in an uncanny way.

I, Robot makes a statement about the endgame of giving over too much control to a digital lifestyle. What begins as convenience becomes control and we are no longer in charge. I think his prediction or prophecy is coming to pass in some significant ways.

I highly recommend I, Robot even to the non-sci fi types like me.

1 comment:

jsi said...

Its a fantastic goal to read as much as you can, and desire to finish what you have begun.
My yearly goal has been 14,000 pages and sometimes that averages to anywhere from 35-55 books.

Curious George doesn't count.
Textbooks don't count.
Reference books can count if I read them cover to cover, like commentaries.

Enjoy your page turning goal!