Monday, January 31, 2005

Manic Monday

ok, blog number 2. Mondays are very different now that I'm pastoring a congregation. I've been heavily involved with worship on Sundays for several years now, but being the person "in charge" of it all. Maybe, more like "charged" with it all leaves me zapped on mondays. I've been sick as well, so by the end of every day I'm tired.

Today was good, though. I spent an hour and a half trying to fold origami shapes because I want to a brochure for the corps (salvation army-ese for church) but I am tired beyond words of the old 3-fold brochure. So, with a student from our youth ministry and mission school, we googled our way through the incredibly complicated world of origami. Do you that origami has its own lexicon--the folds have names and the steps one takes to complete the shapes have names. Long story short, we've settled on a slightly-adjusted version of ... a 3-fold brochure.

After that, we went around to visit some of the spots where my congregation (marginalized and homeless) hang out during the day. There were 2 places I knew about and I discovered a third--the Sony building on Madison Ave. These spots all have atriums that are open to the public during the day and some (Sony) until 11pm. I saw about 5 members of the congregation and spoke with 2. One, I'll call him C, a regular we haven't seen in a while, the other, a new guy who wasn't much interested in talking. C was pleased to see me and we had a good conversation. The funny thing is, I had no idea what to say to begin with other than the fact that we hadn't seen him and was everything ok. The talk was not earth-shattering, but at the end, in his upfront and kind way, he said, "I like what you're doing here." All I was doing was talking and most of the time, in this ministry, I don't feel particularly like I know what I'm doing. But it works for C and I guess it works for me too.

So now it's the end of the day and I didn't "accomplish" much, but I'm tired anyway.

blog blog blog

1 comment:

Pete said...

This is the essence of relational ministry. Serving, loving and embracing all those we encounter, both on Sunday and in our everyday interactions with humanity.

We are inpired and moved by the words of the servant preacher - one who is genuine, pure, holy and sincere. We have been programmed to value intellect and "accomplishments", but I believe what truly resonates in every person's heart is the measure of the heart.

"The greatness of a man's power is the measure of his surrender." --William Booth

Have we truly surrendered, resigned from our self-imposed duty to self? I know I am afraid to let go of my own internally defined equilibreum between self and sacrifice. What is the correct ratio? If not 50/50, will 40/60 be enough? Who will I be if I approach 20/80? This is surely a stronghold the Enemy holds dear in this modern age.