Thursday, April 21, 2005

Beautiful in the Bronx

Shea on Friday night, Yankee Stadium on Tuesday night. Due to April special promotions, I paid $14 for 4 tickets in 5 days. Yes, the Yankees were playing the Devil Rays, but Randy Johnson was on the hill and just as my friend Shawn, also a lifelong Red Sox fan, and I would have hoped, he looked awful. He gave up two HRs to Eduardo Perez who had not hit a single home run in a year's time before Tuesday and 5 earned runs overall. Then Tom "Where is the Flash?" Gordon came in and gave up some more big hits.

Perfect night for baseball, a summer night really in mid-April. As we sat in the upper tier, closer to the action than in box seats at some of the ugly 70s stadiums, we both agreed that the Yankees do not need a new stadium. I hate the team, but I can appreciate a good place to watch a game and there's nothing lacking in the Bronx, particularly when one figures in the value of history.

So for $4 less than the cheapest single seat at the Fens, I got to see two results I wanted (a Mets win and a Yankee loss) with my sister and one of my best friends. Who says everything is overpriced in the Big Apple?

No comments: