Monday, August 15, 2005

Little Women

Maybe it's because we just had Sydney's first birthday party, maybe it's because we're still in the process of rearranging a lot in our lives toward a more healthy family life, maybe it's because it's our most important ministry, maybe it's because the thought wakes us up with loud cries or the pitter patter of little feet early every morning, but I've been thinking a lot lately about raising girls in this world. With all that's wrong in our fallen world, it can be a really scary thing to think about bringing up girls to be healthy, happy and whole. It seems like even great parents that I know have had horrible things happen to their daughters. I look at Riley and Sydney now and just wish sometimes that their lives could continue to carry on in the fashion described by this Non Sequitir comic strip. That a swingset could cure all.
I'd like to know that I can protect them from most and heal them from all of the hurts they might encounter in their lives. It can cause a dad to want to freeze time and keep them young, but I realize it's impossible to stop the march of life. I guess we have to settle for sufficiently shrewd, but innocent as doves. Fortunately, Riley and Sydney show strong leanings toward shrewdness. Jen and I just have to work to maintain their innocence.
Is it too early to start praying for Godly husbands? Ok, I'll stop.

2 comments:

HuskyGirl74 said...

No, it's not too early to pray for Godly husbands for your girls. Orlando and I are not looking forward to the day where we will lose control of the lives of our daughters! All we can do is trust and pray that God will remain in their lives once they are on their own and that they will stay in the way that we have raised them.

jamie said...

have you heard chris rock's take on fathering a daughter? tim downloaded it...it is a riot. like most of what he says it is a funny view of a real issue..scattered with profanity throughout. you'll have to ask tim for the details, as that is way beyond my technical ability! but it is definitely wortha listen as a comic take on where you're at now!