Tuesday, September 13, 2005

People: Double Poor Taste Issue


I have a couple of close relatives who are big fans of People magazine, so I have to watch myself here, but I was put off yesterday in the grocery store when I saw their latest "Special Double Issue." I guess they do this from time to time when a new story trumps what their regular issue was meant to focus on or something, but this time around, it's really in poor taste.

The "lead" story, like everywhere else, is the devastation of Katrina and the aftermath. As is typical, People seeks out hopeful stories from the crisis and so the issue focuses on Courage in Chaos. I can accept that and I know it's going to sell magazines, but it seems like a worthy enough endeavor. What bothers me is the "double issue." You can see it in the upper right corner. The lead is "Best & Worst Dressed." I know this is an issue that readers of People look forward to, but couldn't they wait a week? Does it really deserve to share time with stories of courage in human tragedy. It seems like placing the utterly superficial next to the profound cheapens the depth of the real story here.

Is it just me?

2 comments:

Phil said...

I think they should have combined the two and done a "Best and Worst Dressed Hurricane Katrina Evacuees" issue.

Jocelyn said...

Nope.. not just you.
After learning about the devistation of Katrina on the news, the next few commercials tell how vital it is to spend money on the latest dell laptop, on the new better drug for my illnesses, and on an oriental-looking rug from from Sears.
Its as if the devistation is not that a whole city is dying, but that i do not have high definition skin lotion.

Yeah, that should anger you.