Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Generous Orthodoxy


Like the movie Garden State and the band Linkin Park before it, I'm coming late to the Generous Orthodoxy party. Most of you have probably already read it (twice). Larry's probably wrestling with some questions about it. Tim has it printed on his church clothes. It's been on my current reading list for a while, but as of today, I'm in Chapter 1.

Actually I just finished Chapter 0, the disclaimer in which McLaren says the words generous and orthodoxy roughly 257 times each. But then, right at the end of Chapter 0, he gives this great explanation of why he wrote the book:

"The people I'm primarily writing for are the Christians (or former Christians) - evangelical, liberal, Catholic, whatever - who are about to leave (or have just left) the whole business because of the kinds of issues I raise in this book. And equally, I'm writing for the spiritual seekers who are attracted to Jesus, but they don't feel there's room for them in what is commonly called Christianity unless they swallow a lot of additional stuff - NOT essential orthodoxy (as reflected in the creeds and as I try to explore here), but rather doctrinal distinctives - the fine print added to the contract of orthodoxy - that are fine to explore and discuss, but threaten to become far more important than the gospel warrants.

Perhaps I'm trying to tell them, "Don't leave! Don't give up! There's room for you!" But maybe I'm just wrong, overly idealistic, naive. Maybe it's not right to tell these people there is room for them in most Christian circles - because there's not.

If that thought breaks your heart, you should read this book.

Many, no, most are happy with their orthodoxy and unbothered about the people who are about to leave or the outsiders who feel unwelcome. I have no wish to disturb them in any way, just as one doesn't want to disturb a hornet's nest (unless, say, it's hanging right in front of your front door and its inhabitants keeps stinging your kids and scaring away your guests). Enough. On to Chapter 1, and why I am a Christian."

The rest of the book may be complete rubbish, but now I have to read the rest. And even if it is rubbish, it may still be worth it just for those few paragraphs, particularly the picture of the problems with the Church being akin to a bunch of hornets that sting your kids and scare away your guests. I'll keep you posted on the book you've all already read.


6 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

Anyone who can paint a picture with words like ...a hornet nest at your front door..is worth reading. There has to be more gems like that in there. Thanks for sharing, up until this blog I've had no interest in the book even though I have heard about it through others. Maybe I can skip chapter 0 now since you seemed to have pulled the best of it out already! Blessings!

Phil said...

must read this one

Andi-bo-bandi said...

I too am just coming late to the party on this book...on chapter 1 as well. Maybe we should be like reading accountability partners or something. Cheers!

David and Julie Robbins said...

Drew,

My wife and I had a friend over for dinner last night and she brought this book up and asked if we would start to read as a group. Sounds like a perfect match for what we are currently undergoing at our corps at the moment. Asking what is necessary to the mission and what we can strip away. We'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts and sharing our ideas with you.

A friend from your past,
David Robbins

Larry said...

Drew,

I think the missional christianity chapter of this book will resonate with you. Although I did not agree with everything McLaren said, I found myself identifying with more of the book than not.

Glad Heather really liked it.

It is a challenging read.

HilaryCW said...

I had never even heard of this book. I'm currently reading Catalina Magdalina Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan....Ha, seriously that's what I just read to my girls! I'm searching the library right now for it!:) thanks Drew for keeping me in the adult realm of literature!