Friday, June 30, 2006

You can't spell gangsta without TSA.

So, I know I haven't blogged about the Kroc project in a while. I have this great story to share about a community meeting the other night. We were presenting to one of the many neighborhood associations that make up the Uphams/Dudley community. After a short presentation, we opened the floor for questions. We had several and then, right at the end, a woman stepped up with this question: (and this is as direct a quote as I can give)

"I don't want this to sound crass, but I've been hearing some little rumors, some whispers out there in the community and I need to ask. There's a feeling that The Salvation Army is coming in here, kind of like (I'm sorry), like a gangsta, that you say you're coming in to build this great community center, but you have your eye on this building over here to do some housing and that spot over there to do something else..."

That was pretty much the question: is The Salvation Army the next developer in the neighborhood, coming in "like a gangsta" promising one very good thing in order to get more for itself down the road.

Personally, I just think it's hilarious that the word gangsta was used to describe the Army, but then when you scratch the surface a little bit, you see one of the great challenges of the Kroc gift. It mandates that we come into an underserved community and provide something beyond their wildest dreams. The people in this neighborhood have been put down and swindled for so long that it is difficult for them to trust that we intend to bring community benefit and not expect something more. The Kingdom is counterintuitive to human nature and to what past experience has taught this community. We have a lot of work to do in continuing to live out the Kingdom with integrity amongst our neighbors.

I guess this means I can't drive the Shieldmobile with my gangsta lean on anymore.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooter,

This comment isn't about this post but about your counter. Who is visiting your blog from the Middle East? How about China?

Jeff

blogblogblog said...

I really don't know, but it's cool to know it's happening. I'm sure they're misplaced google searches or people who got lost asking questions on the journey.

Tim said...

Yeah. I'll be quoting the title of this post for a loooong, loooong time! : )

And btw, you just said "journey".

blogblogblog said...

Yes, Tim, I said journey. I was taking a shot at fellow traveller Ashcraft.

Larry said...

YOu only wish you were journeying like me!

Anonymous said...

If you haven't already, make sure you check out the "dudley street neighborhood initiative" they are the heart & soul of that community.

hope your summer is going well.

-jocelyn