Monday, February 26, 2007

A legend pumping gas

So Jen and I were out shopping on Saturday night. We needed to stop for gas, so we pulled into a station in Braintree, MA, just south of Boston. (the Mobil across for South Shore Plaza for the Bostonians reading. Is anyone reading this?) At the pump in front of us was a silver Toyota RAV4. A guy gets out wearing a non-descript winter jacket and a winter hat that was quite silly. It was red, white and blue with a long tassel hanging from the top. I was just about to hop out and pump my gas when Jen, ever the celebrity spotter says, "Drew, that's Bill Belichick." I looked more closely and it certainly seemed to be him. I got out of the car to pump my gas just in time to hear him say "cash" to the attendant over the intercom system. As soon as I heard his voice, I knew it was the legendary coach of the New England Patriots.

I pumped my gas, trying to figure out why he was driving a RAV4, contemplating the fact that he must have to pay cash everywhere he goes so as not to be called out by the person ringing up his purchases with a credit card and trying to figure out what to do in light of the situation. When I finished pumping the gas, we decided Jen would say hi and ask to get a picture with him. She half-chickened out twice and then simply walked up to him and said "Hi, Coach Belichick." He said "hi" nicely enough, but in that way that clearly communicated, "I'm not really looking to be bothered." He wasn't rude at all, but it was clear the picture request was not something he was going to respond to favorably, so we just got back in the car and left the station. Oh and called all of the Patriot fans we could think of who would pick up the phone at 9:45 at night.

I love living in this town.

7 comments:

Tim said...

Nick Derrance has this great story of meeting Brian Billick in a bookstore down in Baltimore one weekend. He spots him, walks up to him, sticks out his hand and says, “Hi coach. The Ravens suck!”, to which Billick smiles, shakes his hand, and says, “you must be from either Pittsburgh or Cleveland.”

Btw, my star struck friend, only a Patriots fan would be happy to get snubbed by Bill Belichick.

Anonymous said...

Why isn't he in Indy for the Combine?

sara* said...

OOO that's a good one... did you ever hear about when Tom Brady almost ran me over downtown?

I've been told I should have let him hit me.

*sigh*

Steve Carroll said...

That rocks if it was me i would have become so excited that i just ripped my Shirt off.


Coach Belichick doesn't need to go to the combine he will tak what ever scraps they pick up in the draft and make them stars it doesn't matter who thats just what he does.

He is the man

Larry said...

I once met Drew Forster! Or was it Jeff?

Soulpadre said...

Go Jets!

BrownEyedGirl said...

It's just like when I opened the newest addition of the Good News. I looked through the March issue and there he was Drew! In a tie...looking very "Kroc..ish". It was very different from the last time I saw you and your family at OOB!
I guess the celebrities are everywhere these days! ;)