Monday, May 23, 2005

Perfection of a Newborn

Psalm 139
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

We went to see the very newborn daughter of our good friends, Eliza Russell-Pritchard, last week. Joe and Christine went in Wednesday morning for a routine visit at 9:30 and Eliza was born by 4pm that day, with a total of 30 minutes of pushing from Christine. It was not reported whether Joe did any pushing at all. Eliza's a peanut at 5lbs 6.5oz, but she is absolutely perfect. It is amazing to me to view the debut of God's greatest miracle--life and in such a pure form. There is nothing more life-affirming or, I think, God-affirming than the birth of a perfect little child. A blessing and a promise and a miracle and an awe-inspiring challenge all bundled in those ubiquitous pink and aqua striped hospital blankets. Perfect.

No comments: