Thursday, May 19, 2005

Regional Cool



Just finished reading Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. An amazing book that I listed in my current reading panel. I didn't agree with it all, but I enjoyed it and couldn't wait to get to the next chapter. I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats. (What's NOT better than Cats?) I plan to move on soon to Miller's pastor Rick McKinley's book, Jesus in the Margins. I really don't know much about either of these guys (Blue is sort of an autobiography), but I don't feel like I need to know much more than the fact that they are from the Pacific Northwest, specifically Portland, OR. There's just something incredibly cool about people from that region. I guess it's my new "If-only-I-lived-there-I-might-be-a-rock-star-too" locale, which led me to a question. Am I the only one that does this, makes snap decisions that everyone who comes from/lives in a certain region of the world is automatically cool (Pac NW or Northern Ireland)? or maybe even automatically uncool (Idaho)?

I know that there are some people looking in on this blog from time to time from places close to and far from where I live. So I want to know what are your regional cool areas? What hometown predisposes people to coolness in your book?

4 comments:

Bill said...

Sydney, Australia. I know my wife is from there, but it always fascinates me the different people I meet from there.Including Susanne

Allison Ward said...

Hey Drew! It's Allison Ward! just thought I would say hi and that you did a great job at youth councils! What you had to say really made sence! Thanks!
God Bless,
Allison

blogblogblog said...

I have to agree on Australia and add New Zealand. More often than not, Aussies and Kiwis exude a cool I can only aspire to

Mary Ann Parks said...

People from Philly are slackers...oh wait, I'm confusing the people with the sports teams {ducking to avoid the multiple projectiles aiming towards me} (j/k)

I always thought that New Yawkers were the apex of uber-cool....