Friday, November 11, 2005

Mahogany


Ok, so I've been doing some card shopping lately for various events and have noticed a new collection in the greeting card section. I don't actually know how new it is. I just know I hadn't seen it before about 2 months ago. It's called Mahogany and it's a Hallmark collection of cards. The collection targets African-Americans and features images geared toward that population.

For a while now, I've considered myself or at least strived to be, as Bart Campolo puts it, a white person who "gets it" for people of color--someone who is still willing to admit and point out the racism that still exists in America; someone who doesn't say the stupid things that get us nowhere in terms of reconciliation and the righting of wrongs like "some of my best friends are black;" someone who is interested in African-American culture without "trying to be black;" someone who doesn't try to be "color blind" because that's a stupid notion. Race is real and we need to be aware of similarities and differences between us, not blind to them.

So I have to admit that I'm disappointed with myself for my lack of sensitivity to people of color in such a simple area as greeting cards. I, as a white person, have never had to look through rows and rows of cards and see no images of anyone that resembles me. Ok, so I don't really look like those oiled up muscle bound guys on the front of some cards, but I'm the same skin tone as he is, if that's the only similarity between us. Before seeing this Mahogany collection, I never found it offensive that all of the handdrawn cartoon cards look something like this one. For white people in America, we can walk through our daily lives and not think about race. For people of color, something as inane as buying a birthday card can hardly NOT be about race.

So here's the thing, though. I'm not sure The Mahogany Collection is the answer. To Hallmark's credit, they came up with a decent sounding name for the collection. They didn't call it "The Back of the Bus" collection and they place the cards in and among all of the others, but I can't help but think that it might be a better step if we didn't have segregation in the card section.

It's kind of like that phenomenon in sports where people feel the need to say, "Donovan McNabb, the black quarterback" or "Tony Dungy is one of the best African-American coaches we have." Finally, there is some sensitivity where people have just started to refer to these guys by their names, but it still carries on for some like Fisher DeBerry and Joe Pa.

Wouldn't it be better if Hallmark didn't feel the need to point it out so blatantly? It's funny they never seemed to point it out while they've only had cards depicting white people for the last 100 years. 40 years after MLK, decades after Jim Crow, nearly a century and a half after the emancipation proclamation, couldn't they just start to make cards with images of people from various races and sprinkle them in among the other cards and not tag them as Mahogany? I don't know if it's marketing or if they think they're doing something right, but by euphemizing race you're not subtracting it. What would people say if the little card tabs in the store said, "Cards for black people?"

I chose the birthday card at the top because of its subtlety. I would buy that card for any woman I know who was "born to flourish and to dance beneath the sun." I don't really need someone to tell me whether the image is appropriate for my purposes or not. On the other hand, the Forster Family Christmas card probably won't look like this one. Give the consumer some credit to decide which cards do and do not make sense.

So good for Hallmark that they've seen the error of their ways, but hopefully this collection will fade into the rainbow of the card section instead of sticking out. And by the way, I noticed there is not Asian collection, no Latino collection, no Pacific Islander collection. I shudder to think of the names they might come up with for all of those collections.

8 comments:

Tim said...

The thing I’ve always wondered about is “skin colored band aids”. Not skin colored if you’re black!

Btw, I think pointing out the fact that you bought the card is just like saying “hey, I have black friends”, but that’s just me.

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful post, btw.

Yes, I agree that having "cards for black people" is not the answer. It's almost along the same lines as the UPN chanel. But before we can start creating any sort of rainbow collection, we need to start somewhere. And more often than not, it has to be that blatently obvious, "we-can-no-longer-ignore-the-issue" place before we'd even know to do anything about it.

But even more, I think what those cards are doing is not so much about the way the picture looks on the cover, but the intentional cultural element added to them and to the words inside. For example, I love Mahoganey's sisterhood cards; Not many cards are able to express the deep sisterhood I feel toward my african american friends. Trust me, i've looked. I've seen one non-mahoganey hallmark card that did, but now there's a whole line. Hallmark recognized a need and met it.
Somehow I think the same tension of recognizing and/or embracing diversity will be found in our card collections [is there greater benefit in having seperate or combined card collections?] that we find in the culture at large, ie. our universities, our churches and our television programs.

Phil said...

Well, I'm about as anti-reparation as you can get. I don't think stuff like that leaves either side feeling justified. And, yes, I don't feel the need to say who or how many friends of such-and-such a color I have. The thing is, I think most people stick to making friends with people of their own race. We like people who are like us. (The Mahogany card series illustrates that, I think.) To an extent, there's nothing wrong with that. It's very "natural". For most of us, making friends with people from different cultures requires an intentional effort that may bring along with it an initial awkwardness. The key words are vulnerability and humility, as we try and understand each other, feel each other's pain, if you will.

America is so weird, too. Nowhere else, save the UK, has as many cultures in one place. Here, more than anywhere else, our national identity is no longer one and the same as our cultural identity. Hmmm. May post something on this...

Anonymous said...

...discrimination is an American value.. We need to know where to go to get our 65” pants and were we can buy “I hate the BUSH” gear. These divisions give us identity and organization. They are comfortable. I know where I fit. We support this notion everyday. We are all racists. We can not discriminate the difference anymore.

blogblogblog said...

My knee jerk reaction with the previous comment is to take it down, to delete it, but maybe there's some value in taking a further look.

While I don't disagree that we have a natural tendency due to many factors including how we've been raised, the continued prevalence of stereotyping and racism in the media, etc. ad nauseum, to discriminate, to separate by race, class, whatever delineator you want to point to, I disagree that it's acceptable. If hate is our tool for identity and organization, I think we need to find a new one.

Most whites in America are lulled to sleep with the notion that racism has been conquered in this country. I think it's incumbent on us to realize this fact and to intentionally go beyond such a naive notion. I'm not out for some kind of bland mono-cultural existence where we don't notice differences and I think world culture is moving into a massive gray area as culture goes, but I think we have to acknowledge the areas where our race gives us advantage. It still does and it's not ok.

Jason said...

...I think I agree in Biblical terms that we are all racists...separated at Babylon by God because of humanity's selfishness and thus the consequence became selfishness on behalf of our own culture...if we don't recognize this part of our fallen nature we won't realize that we all need nothing less than rehabilitation...this can happen through the redemption of Christ and then a thorough reconstruction of our mind by the Holy Spirit

Anonymous said...

Great subject to address. It keeps the conversation going and that's what's important ... we gotta keep talking to each other about the stuff that matters.

Political correctness? Who needs it - it's phony ... but truth and love ... now that's something we can all buy into!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I totally agree with you. I have had very similar thoughts in my head when I see advertisements for The Black Pages on the train. Like the cards, I agree that black businesses should be advertised and more racial sensitivity is necesssary. Then, my mind spins trying to thing of what businesses would a black person need that they couldn't find in the yellow pages. Also, I wonder how how people would react if there was an exclusively white pages, only for people that are white. It's it all segragation again?