Friday, November 18, 2005

A word from Clive Staples

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you
I've never had a selfless thought since I was born
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through
I want God, you, all friends merely to serve my turn

Peace, reassurance, pleasure are the goals I seek
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin
I talk of love, a scholar's parrot may talk Greek
but, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin

Whenever I read great men of God who seemed to struggle in similar ways with their faithwalk, I'm encouraged. I say, hey, if Peter can fall apart under pressure, if Paul can struggle to do the right thing even when he wants to, if CS Lewis can admit to being self-serving above all else, I think maybe, just maybe I might have a shot at this thing.

9 comments:

Phil said...

wow. awesome.

BrownEyedGirl said...

Treasures in the darkness...from those who have gone before and have made it to the other side. Another good reason to be real, even on the bad days.Thanks Drew

BrownEyedGirl said...

Hey Drew- hope you don't mind I have quoted you on my blog!

 tyler clay said...

Hey Drew, I really like your blog very interesting! thats really cool that you are a pastor my grandfather is a pastor!
Ill totally bookmark you!

Anonymous said...

Just saw this today... It's the birthday of C. S. (Clive Staples) Lewis, (books by this author) born in Belfast, Ireland, (1898), the author of the children's series about the land of Narnia. He also wrote The Screwtape Letters (1941), in which he wrote, "The safest road to Hell is the gradual one—the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts." He was a confident Oxford philosopher, not at all prepared to find himself a Christian convert. To his friend Owen Barfield he wrote: "Terrible things have happened to me. The 'Spirit' or 'Real I' is showing an alarming tendency to becoming much more personal and is taking the offensive, and behaving just like God. You'd better come on Monday at the latest or I may have entered a monastery." He said, "Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand."

Jim Knaggs said...

You aren't looking for this, but, you do have a shot at this. I join you in the journey and confess to many failures. I'm trusting Him.

Mhairi said...

So, like hi, do you remember me?
Or was it this that you preferred...Holla back on my cellie!

Jim said...

It drives me crazy when he does that. He could summarize in a nutshell way more than he should have been able to do.

Jason said...

Now I see why he goes by C.S. Who would name their kid that?