Friday, February 03, 2006

The Theology of Johnny Cash

I know Johnny Cash didn't write this song with a Christian walk in mind, but that doesn't mean we can't read it, hum it, sing along with our Christian walk in mind. Hey, maybe we could even add it to a worship set some day soon.

I Walk the Line

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day is through
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine, I walk the line

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

4 comments:

Allison Ward said...

Did you see the movie Walk the Line? I thought it was awesome..and the actors actually learned how to sing for it!

bedemike said...

What a renaissance man you are - Kanye West & Johnny Cash, within inches of each other on the same blog.

The movie tells us he was raised on a hymnal. Maybe the Christian walk was in the back of his mind.

Larry said...

Walk the Line is a great story of redemption and community. In his later years, Johnny Cash returned to his roots of Christianity. It is amazing to see how this great cultural icon led a life of redemption later in his story.

Thanks Sue...I mean Drew.

Phil said...

hey - Chicago's been crazy. Still praying though. Grace...