Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Riley Forster: Kindergartner


So, today the world changed. Riley started (full-day) kindergarten at the Cottage Street School. She's in Ms. Sullivan's class with 21 of her new closest friends. It was a sunny day, more like summer than fall. I never bargained for what it would be like to send our first off to kindergarten, even after 2 years of pre-school. Jen was the strong one. I was a mess from the moment I stepped into the living room and saw her dressed in her first day outfi. Let's just say I ducked behind several corners and kept my comments to a minimum. Riley was excited to get going and Sydney would not be left behind with Auntie Jodi and Uncle Phil who were in town visiting. Getting Syd out of the classroom when it was time to go was a great challenge.

Dinner was an event as Riley ran down the day's events, starting with gym, but they didn't do gym, they just read a book about a boy in a class with a fat gym teacher that told them what they would be doing in gym. 2 recesses. Lunch in the cafeteria. She didn't eat her banana. The teachers didn't know the rules, so the kids had to make them up. Riley's addition to the rules was "no pushing." Sand table, drawing table and home again in one piece. Jen was beside herself because she was 10 minutes late to pick Riley up and all of the halls were empty when she arrived...because she was 10 minutes early and everyone was still in class.

So tomorrow is day 2 and maybe it will become easier to believe that this is all happening.

3 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

Hi Riley! I hope you had a good day at school! Do you remember jumping waves with me at the beach in Maine?
Emma

As told to her mother. ;)

Anonymous said...

wow, riley is soo big! she's soooo pretty too. I cant believe how fast they grow and grow. i Remember when Jen had riley in 2001. now she can tell us what t0 do( ha, ha) I love you riley and miss you! you dont remember me but I remember everything about you! Good luck with school!!
Nicole

Bill said...

So cool! Glad to see she survived the first day!