Friday, July 22, 2005

Chuckie

So I made a sincere blunder this morning. Across the street from our office, there's a homeless guy who has a nice little setup at the end of an alley. He's obviously been there for a while. Before I left the city, I prayed that the Lord would allow me to continue to have relationship and reach out to those on the street because it really was the best aspect of a sometimes difficult situation there. So I've been passing this guy almost every morning coming from the commuter rail and I've been feeling really convicted that God had answered my prayer (and not even made it difficult--this guy was literally on my way to the office) and I haven't done my part.

So I went over and introduced myself today before coming to work. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Good morning
Him: Good morning (not looking in my direction, then sort of looking out of the corner of his eye, wondering why I was awkwardly still standing in front of him)
Me: My name's Drew. I work across the street at The Salvation Army
Him: I'm all set. I'm just waiting on someone who owes me some money and then I'm going to be out of here.
Me: I'm not trying to bother you. I've just seen you here and wanted to say hello.
Long pause
Me: I'm Drew. What's your name?
Chuckie: I'm Chuckie.

Here's where it went south, with a question that had been perfectly routine and acceptable at Central Citadel:

Me: How long you been on the street?
Chuckie: (walking away) Now get out of here. I don't need no FBI, checking on me. Get out of here. How long you been on the street? mumble mumble mumble (into the corner of the building)
Me: (to myself) You moron, what are you thinking, walking up to a stranger in an alley and asking him how long he's been on the street? What right do you have? None anymore. You're no longer the pastor of a homeless congregation, therefore you have to build credibility, not think you're entitled to it.
Me: (to Chuckie) Listen, I'm going to go. I crossed a line there.
Chuckie: That's right you did and you didn't even notice.

I pray that this is installment one of a conversation that can continue. But if you're a person of faith, could you pray for Chuckie today?

4 comments:

Tim said...

Did his name have to be Chuckie?

Will look forward to reading this ongoing conversation.

Anonymous said...

God loves it when we blow it trying to do something new or different... it means we are trying something new or different! i have no idea how to do most of the things i am expected to do now!

Jason A. Tompkins said...

God looks for availability not perfection.

jT

Kelly said...

wow. he called you out and pinpointed it right on the head, "that's right you did, and you didn't even notice." i look forward to hearing more about chuckie.