Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Spam just keeps getting weirder

Ok, I know that companies just buy random email addresses and send out their spam, but I got an email today from Bowhunter Magazine. I mean these people know nothing about me, but what have I purchased, what sites have I been visiting, what surveys have I filled out that would lead anyone to believe I'm interested in anything being offered by Bowhunter Magazine? Surely if they lined up 100 guys and picked out 90 to whom they might send information regarding a magazine that covers the latest advances in bowhunting equipment and techniques, I would be left standing against the wall with the 2 blind guys, the 3 granola pacifists, the left-handed guy, the wicked fat kid, Jared from Subway and Napoleon Dynamite, just like when people were being picked for kickball at my elementary school's recess.

"You know, like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."

2 comments:

Kelly said...

you're hilarious! i picked up the emerging church book listed in your sidebar recently only to discover that... maybe it was written for the generation before me, i'm not getting a lot of insight out of it. good to hear mass is treating you well. tell jen we said hello.

blogblogblog said...

Kelly,
Thanks for your comment. You may be right on the Kimball book. It might have it's greatest market in people trying to understand what emerging is all about. There were a couple of chapters I liked. I think he does a good job explaining or at least bringing to light how much of a subculture we as Christians have carved out for ourselves. That may be the most useful point I got out of the book. Maybe it's not that new to you because the whole emerging thing is a new name for this p***mod**n (I don't like to use the word) thing we've all been talking about for 10 years.

Say hey to the Pope for us.