Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Christmas in Hollis


We put the tree up last night. We found a couple of our Christmas CDs in the bin with the ornaments, so I was able to listen to and share with my family, one of my favorite Christmas songs: Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC. It was released on the first A Very Special Christmas. In my opinion, the best one of the series hands down. It's got great pop Christmas songs.

If you do not know this Christmas classic, here are the lyrics.

It was December 24th on Hollis Ave after dark
When I see a man chilling with his dog in the park
I approached very slowly with my heart full of fear
Looked at his dog, oh my God, a ill reindeer
But then I was illin' because the man had a beard
And a bag full of goodies, 12 o'clock had neared
So I turned my head a second and the man had gone
But he must have dropped his wallet smack down on the lawn
I picked the wallet up then I took a pause
Took out the license and it cold said "Santa Claus"

A million dollars in it, cold hundreds of G's
Enough to buy a boat and matching car with ease
But I'd never steal from Santa, cause that ain't right
So I was going home to mail it back to him that night
But when I got home I bugged, cause under the tree
Was a letter from Santa and the dough's for me

It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens
Mom's cooking chicken and collard greens
Rice and stuffing, macaroni and cheese
And Santa put gifts under Christmas trees
Decorate the house with lights at night
Snow's on the ground, snow white so bright
In the fireplace is the yule log
Beneath the mistle toe as we drink egg nog
The rhymes that you hear are the rhymes of Darryl's
But each and every year we bust Chrsitmas carols

Rhymes so loud and proud you hear it
It's Christmas time and we got the spirit
Jack Frost chillin, the orchid's out
And that's what Christmas is all about
The time is now, the place is here
And the whole wide world is filled with cheer
My name's D.M.C. with the mic in my hand
And I'm chilling and coolin' just like a snowman
So open your eyes, lend us a ear
We want to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

5 comments:

bedemike said...

Look up "the 80's" in the dictionary, see a picture of Drew. Anyway, everyone knows the Boss's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" is the best Christmas song ever, followed closely by Bing Crosby & David Bowie's seminal rendition of "Little Drummer Boy."

Phil said...

yes, Drew, that ryhme epitomizes Christmas better than any carol i've come across... :)

while we're throwing classic Christmas songs around: Chris Rice's "welcome to our world" is hands down the best one in the past decade

Anonymous said...

You are all so wrong.

Very Special Christmas 3 is the best of the series. And the best Christmas song ever is No Doubt's "Oi to the World", a song about gang warfare that's overcome by the spirit of Christmas. It crescendos like so:

"On the roof with the nun chucks Trevor broke a lot of bones
But Haji had a sword like that guy in Indiana Jones"

Full lyrics a the link below.

Anonymous said...

Actually full lyrics by clicking on cool sounding's bro in the above comment. Sheesh. Blogs.

Anonymous said...

It's even better when you lip sync it a summer camp.

I still have the pictures somewhere...